At 9 am the nurse came to check me, and my water broke on it's own. And when she checked me, I was a 2, and we all thought "this is it". She went ahead and started the petocin, and that really got my contractions going. She said that since my water had broken, she would not check me again until I got an epidural. My parents came back to the hospital at about 10 am. By 12noon, I asked for a shot in my IV for some pain relief. Chris did his best to keep my mind off of things, but those suckers really hurt!! Somewhere around 2pm, the epidural guy came in. Since I was stuck in the bed (due the petocin, and my water breaking), I decided I might as well labor in comfort and got the epidural. Chris and my dad left and my mom stayed. I was so terrified of the pain and the needle and what it would be like, I just wanted my mom there. I tell you, though, if I had to grade him, he'd of gotten an A++!! One the drugs kicked in I was able to just relax and wait and hope that my body would take over.
I labored until 5 when they checked me, and I was still a 2. I was absolutely heart broken and scared of the idea of a c-section, but I also knew in my heart that God was trying to tell me something. Mason just wasn't going to fit the other way and that was that.
So, my doc came in and we talked and decided on a c-section. We had to wait til 7 for her to have another doctor there to assist. Chris went to find some dinner (the poor guy had been living off juice and pudding cups for 24 hours) and my parents came home to let the dog out.
Just before 7 they came to get me, and filled my epidural with some pretty strong drugs. It took all of my effort and energy not to fall asleep. I said my goodbyes and they wheeled me off. A few minutes later Chris was by my side and before I knew it they were saying "it's a boy". I held my breath as I waited to hear my son cry and when he did, it was the most beautiful sound ever! Chris kept running back to the table with reports about how Mason was doing - he was so excited and such a proud papa. I cried buckets of tears of joy.
Mason Allen was born at 7:22 pm, on Sunday, September 20th. He was 6 pounds 11 ounces, and 20 inches long.
My parents were dying to know Mason's name, so once I was back in the recovery room, and they were there, we told them together. It was such a fun thing for Chris and I to finally share his name with someone.
My first night was a bit of a blur, and the next morning I was sore and stuck in bed. When Mason cried, Chris just jumped right out of bed and got him and took care of him. He is an amazing dad and I loved watching him comfort our son.
So, while it wasn't what I envisioned, or what we planned, it was absolutely perfect and I wouldn't change a thing. In the end, we had a beautiful baby boy, who is absolutely perfect in every way.

1 comment:
So great! I can't WAIT to talk to you and hear how things are going...and of course, to meet your sweet little man! I'll be OOT part of this week and next but would love to bring dinner for you guys after I get back. Give that boy a squeeze for me!
Post a Comment