Sunday, June 5, 2011

Count Down to Vacation









We are meeting my parents in Cody, Wyoming, for a little vacation. My mother grew up there, and my grandparents lived there, so I spent many summers and holidays there. Last fall we were just joking about meeting up there and playing tourist for a few days, but the idea really stuck with me. So, off we go. We are going to the pow wow and to the rodeo. We we'll have dinner at the Irma, where I begged my grandmother to take me every summer. Towards the end of dinner, there was always a real live gun fight (in the middle of the restaurant), and some handsome man always saved the pretty lady and the bad guy always always died. God how I loved that part of dinner. We'll go to the reservoir, that's created by the damn my grandpa built, and we'll stroll up and down main street, window shopping. And of course we will have to stop by and see the house where I spent those summers and holidays, high in my grandpa's cherry trees, with red stained fingers. I'm sure who ever owns it will start to wonder if they should just invite us in. And, we will stop and formally introduce Mason to his great grandma and great grandpa. I, personally haven't been back since my grandma died, some 10 years ago almost. Seems like a life time ago, that's for sure.



For now, I am simply counting down the days and hours and minutes until we leave. I miss my parents. I hate that Mason doesn't know them and doesn't get to have fun memories of them on a daily, or at least weekly, basis. I just hate it. So, we make the most of the times we do get to spend together, and we try to hold tight to those memories until the next time.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Sounds like it will be a great vacation. I love the idea behind going back somewhere that holds so much sentiment to you. As for Mason, he'll know his grandparents. The older he gets he will remember them, start talking on the phone with them, etc. You guys need to Skype! That's what we do with my mom once or twice a week. It's fantastic!