Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Feeling Guilty for Feeling Blessed
Jackson's 2nd open heart surgery took place on Friday. Dr. Campbell is his surgeon. He told me how pleased he was and how well everything went. Dr. Ing was the anesthesiologist. He told me how well Jackson tolerated the anesthesia. Dr. Adel is his cardiologist. He told me how great everything went, reassured me that Jackson was fine. And yet I still asked him if there was anything bad that no one was telling us. And then I spent the next 3 days feeling guilty for having asked such a question. But I realize that we are blessed with Jackson's heart. Not for his heart defect, but for how well his surgeries have gone. How well he has done. How quickly he has recovered. I look at so many of my heart momma friends and I see their struggles. Days that turn into weeks that turn into months, spent in the hospital with your little one, when you have other children back home. Wound vacs and cardiac caths. Surgeries that don't go as well as planned. Procedures that actually do damage to the heart in an attempt to fix it. Little Liam, who paid the ultimate price with his life when his heart gave out. And we seem to sail through. I mean, yes, we have our issues from time to time. But really, compared to some of them, it's nothing. And I feel guilty for our good luck. I am struggling to be a good friend to these heart momma's, when I can't really relate to them. I haven't had these same set backs and tragedies. Of course, I don't want to have them either. I am obviously ok with Jackson's steady progress. But I have such feelings of guilt too. I hope that I can at least give them a safe place to cry or yell or say really horrible things. I hope they know that while I don't truly understand, I do care and I do feel for them and I do pray for their little ones.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment