I know you're all dying to hear how the plane ride went. And, I'm proud to say that it went totally fine. Having my children along to deal with and worry about really kept my own anxiety from creeping up. I just didn't have the time or the energy to worry about worrying. Don't get me wrong, I still popped two xanex and had 2 glasses of white wine, but that might have been more out of habit than necessity. We landed without issue, and found our way to our rental car and our rental house. Mason isn't quite sure what to think of all these things we are borrowing. He was awake and standing next to our bed at 5:15 on Friday morning. I think he might have been dressed into clothes, complete with shoes, by 5:20. Silly boy. He didn't think we were staying and was worried about being left behind. It's been a little rough adjusting to the schedules of vacation, but we're doing ok. Having fun, making good memories, and eating some yummy food. I am still hoping for a date night with Chris while we are here. I've yet to eat any mexican food, and damn it, that's just not ok.
Monday night we went to dinner, and the first thing I noticed was the mom at the head of the table, wearing a stethoscope. My eyes darted around the table until they came to rest on her one year old son, with an NG tube in his nose. We sat directly next to them, and I could feel my feet dancing, the excitement jumping from one foot to the other. I could hardly contain myself. Chris could tell I was dying to go say something to them. Trouble was, I really couldn't think of a darned thing to start the conversation with. But then I remembered something that a kind waitress said to me when she asked about Jackson. She said it's so much nicer when people ask questions then when they just stare. So, over I walked and introduced myself. We talked about synergist shots, and NG tubes vs G tubes and how challenging, and yet rewarding, it is to be the mom of a kid with special needs. It felt good, in the pit of my stomach, to reach out and connect. I'm so used to the stares and the pointing and the whispering. It was truly liberating for my soul me to see another mom, out with her child, just trying to have dinner as a family.
Phoenix has been good to us. The weather is nice. Jackson's oxygen sats are up a couple of points, and Mason has really enjoyed spending time with Grandma Donna and Aunt Nelly and everyone else. I am overlooking the pool of our rental house, doors wide open, in the 70 degree weather. It's a nice change of pace, but, it will be hard to convince myself it's Christmas tomorrow morning when there is no snow.
I am feeling blessed and safe and happy as we slip through Christmas Eve and into Christmas Day. My children are home and healthy. My family is together under one roof. What a joy to be able to spend the holidays here in sunny Phoenix.
Merry Christmas everyone!!
Tuesday, December 24, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Merry Christmas,
I love reading your blogs and I'm so glad to hear you guys are having a great time on your vacation. It's nice to know Jackson is doing well, I think of him often and miss him very much. Take good care of my little friend and you guys be safe.
David
Happy ho ho ho to all! uhm, could I sneak into your luggage next time? I LOVE warm weather :) Best wishes to you, Chris and the boys for a safe and happy holiday (as well as your extended family). Linda
Traci, glad things are going well for you and the family in Phoenx. I hope to get a chance to come meet you and the kiddos and see Chris too. I have been holding off calling Donna to see what the schedule is as I know you must be very busy since arriving and tonight is the big Christmas Eve family party that your inlaws do every year. I will call Donna tomorrow and see if there's a time for me to drop by before you go home.
If It doesn't work out, next time for sure .... Merry Christmas to the Holbrook family!
Barb
Post a Comment