I have found the balance of work and Mason a little more difficult since the holidays ended. Maybe it was the short days and the cheerful mood around my office that just made it all flow a little easier. But, it's been hard going back to work and getting into the swing of things. I struggle to find time for Mason, Chris, my poor dog who feels completely dejected, and myself. I was just telling Chris I haven't had a hair cut since before Mason was born. I had no intention of letting it grow long again. But, it just seems to keep getting put on the back burner. And can you believe, I am already trying to talk Chris into a second baby?!?! I must be completely insane!
On a personal note, I wonder how long I'll last in this field of work. When ever I have clients who are behaving badly in a divorce, I remind them about their children, and how they are suffering. I say "do what is in your child's best interest", a phrase I am so used to rattling off, that now has so much more meaning to it. Last week was particularly difficult. I found myself fitting for a client to get more visitation with his son, even though he's the one choosing to move out of State. And the entire time I am fight for him, I know, way back in my mind, that the phone calls will become less and less and the summer visits shorter and shorter and the care packages lighter and lighter until it all stops. Because, in all honesty, our client is a crappy dad who has already lost his child because of his own selfish actions and who is only fighting to fight the fight. Those are the days I hate my job. I came home and hugged Chris, and Mason, and told him that if we ever decided to call it quits, I wouldn't settle for him having anything less than 50% of the time with Mason. Not 1 single day less.

No comments:
Post a Comment