Friday, June 12, 2009

Trial Run to Labor and Delivery Last Night

I took my walk last night before dinner, came home, had dinner, and was on the couch when suddenly I got this cramp high in my belly. They kept coming and seemed to last about 15 - 20 seconds. After a good 20 minutes of trying to keep track in my head, I had Chris bring me a pen and a piece of paper. I started writing them down and they were coming every 3 minutes, which, honestly, scared the crap out of me. I called my parents about 8 million times but didn't get an answer, so I called the emergency line for my OB. She said it sounded like contractions, and since I am only 6 1/2 months along and should not be having them, she told me to go ahead and go to the hospital. I think Chris was a little shocked, but he rolled with the punches.

It was definitely scary rolling through the doors of the hospital, but everyone was super nice. I have never been the person in the hospital bed - I've always been there to visit someone else. So that was kinda different.

Anyway, they hooked me up to the machine to watch baby's heartbeat and my contractions. She gave me a button to push every time I felt one. The good news is that baby looked great on the monitor. His heartbeat was a solid 148 beats per minute and showed all of the ups and downs that she wanted to see. The bad news is that while I was pushing the button every 3 minutes, she could not see anything on the monitor, and could not feel them from the outside by touching my stomach. So, that's a little perplexing.

The good news is that she checked me and said that my cervix was definitely closed and very hard.

My blood pressure was pretty ridiculous when we first got there - 148 over something. But, by the time we left, it had come down to 138 over 78. It's up from what it was a month ago, but I was relieved to see it come back down for sure.

She also had me pee in a cup and said that I was a little dehydrated and that she wanted me to up my water intake. After about 2 hours, they sent us home.

I still have my appointment today with my OB and the ultrasound too. I feel silly for dragging everyone out so late at night for what may have just been braxton hicks contractions. But, I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry. The nurse's two thoughts were that (a) maybe walking every night was too much too fast and that (b) the strange pain I have in my side was that round ligament pain that I had in the beginning. She said the test for it is when you bend over and can feel it. So, maybe that's it. Sure makes a lot more sense than a hernia!!

Stay tuned, I will update later this evening when we get home.

No comments: